Garage Conversions in Warwickshire, West Midlands and Surrounding area
Why Convert Your Garage?
Ask yourself what do you use your garage for? The fact is that more and more garages have become wasted space filled with forgotten fitness equipment, old clothes, toys and useless memorabilia that more often than not takes more time and effort to throw out than it is actually worth.
The garage used be the place the family car was parked because it had to be protected from the elements – but that was before cars were routinely galvanised. So, if you can park on your drive or on the street, why let this valuable asset go to waste?
Converting your garage is one of the most cost effective ways to add additional space to your home, because it adds usable, useful space. It can also add extra value to to your property by increasing the available living space – a garage conversion’s value will increase with the house price.
A well designed and expertly constructed garage conversion will also bring extra daylight into your house. If your garage is attached to the side of your house, installing glazed doors for access will make that adjoining room lighter and more airy!
Some of the most popular uses for that old defunct garage are:
- An extra lounge
- Another bedroom
- An extra bathroom
- A play room for the childrens
- A larger kitchen
- A home cinema room
- A home-gym
- A home office
Of all the options available, the additional lounge is the most popular type of garage conversion. Are you thinking that having two lounges is excessive? Wait till your cute kids turn into teenagers – you may not want to snuggle up on the sofa with your son and his spotty mates every night of the week and weekend.
Alternatively, if your self employed and currently pay for office space elsewhere, work out the cost of having your own home office, garage conversion, whilst factoring in the added value to your house when you come to sell it.
In comparison to building an extension or a loft conversion, converting your garage will add the most amount of extra floor space for the least amount of expense.
Below are more details about the conversion process!
Our 25 Point Garage Conversion Process
1. Provide Architects Drawings
2. Process Building Warrant Application & Fee.
3. Removal and disposal of existing garage door.
4. Provide a Skip on-site
5. Dig-out and install footings / ground lintels to support new walls.
6. Tooth out existing garage door reveals
7. Supply & Install external matching sill.
8. Build new brickwork external wall and blockwork internal wall including lintel, brick ties, dpc, cavity tray, air vents etc at position of old garage door.
9. Form new entrance to conversion at back including fit new lintels, cut out cavity, fit lining stops and architrave
10. Supply & Install double opening matching upvc window.
11. Batten out walls and ceiling
12. Fully Insulate walls and ceiling
13. Plasterboard walls and ceiling
14. Suspended timber floor on floor joists on joist hangers Install floor joists.
15. Lay 1200 gauge dpm over existing concrete floor and turn up behind wall plates.
16. Install floor insulation in between joists.
17. Install chipboard floor boards to floor.
18. Ames Tape, Plaster walls.
19. Fit skirting boards and window sill to match existing
20. Box in Boiler or Electric Box (if needed)
21. Install double electrical plug sockets
22. Install down light fittings
23. Install radiator.
24. Final clean and snag prior to handover.
25. Provide a 10 year Guarantee.